Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Im There in one piece

Finally we arrived in Copenhagen, and I was feeling really sick. Even though the first class ride was amazing, the motion sickness was really bad. To top it all off our plane landed late and we had less than an hour to go through customs, security, and passport verification! Kelsey and I sprinted across the Copenhagen airport scrambling to find the right terminal. My advice is to not fly into Copenhagen for a connecting flight. Choose a flight that will connect somewhere else, because some people missed their planes and had to spend the night in a hotel. Once we finally made it to our gate, just in time, I really felt like I was going to throw up in the plane. Thankfully they serve Sprite, which helped to settle my stomach. I sat next to this boy, who did speak English, who was from Estonia and was going to Oslo, Norway for a holiday (they don’t know what vacations are!). Once in Oslo, Kelsey and I walked through the “I don’t have anything to declare” doorway and rechecked our baggage. Kelsey and I were worried that we didn’t go through customs, but the check in lady assured us that we did, even though no one went through our baggage. We had a 5 hour layover in Oslo, which was good and sucked at the same time. I wanted to just get to Kristiansand and go to my dorm to sleep, but at the same time I was glad to have a break from flying. To pass the time Kelsey and I watched a movie, played cards, slept, and sat and sat and sat. The flight from Oslo and Kristiansand is a blur, I fell asleep before we took off and was woken up by the plane landing. I do remember trying to climb over this kid to get to my seat and he didn’t speak English and was trying to tell me to wait until he got up. Then when I sat down I used part of his seatbelt to buckle up. That poor kid probably thought I was insane. I of course profusely apologized and explained that I had a really long day. Of course he didn’t understand any of it because he didn’t speak English. Then I must have fallen asleep then. Once in Kristiansand, a super small airport, we didn’t get a gate we had to walk down the stairs that they put up next to the door. It was freezing cold outside and the airport had no heat! Then Kelsey and I had to wait for three hours in the freezing cold. We passed the time by sitting and trying to sleep. There was no one at the airport and most of the signs were in Norwegian. When fellow exchange students landed, we ended up taking a taxi with all of our luggage to the central city bus station. Dylan, Kelsey, and I crammed ourselves and our luggage into the world’s smallest car, sitting on top of each other, bags stuffed everywhere. Not that I didn’t feel sick enough from the 20 hours of plane travel, it was an experience that I won’t forget. Once we arrived at the bus station we had to wait for a half hour in the freezing cold until Maltz (don’t know if that is the correct spelling but it is pronounced like malt with an S on the end) came and got us. We then had to dodge traffic and cross the street, with all of my luggage mind you, to a waiting taxi. Now Maltz was sort of a gentleman and took one of Kelsey’s suitcases, but he took the smaller one. I struggled to make it across the snow and ice dragging my luggage to that stupid taxi that would cross the street for us. Once we finally made it to our dorms, Kelsey lucked out and got a room on the first floor. I on the other hand had to drag my luggage up three flights of stairs to the third floor. Thankfully Maltz took my big suitcase and I just had my duffle bag. Once I was safely in my dorm, I promptly unpacked my PJs, toothbrush, and sheets and went to bed. Thank God, some real sleep for the first time in two days!

No comments:

Post a Comment